Ingrid Apgar: Life at the Circus

group of people doing stretches

Though many err on the side of caution when it comes to our body’s extreme limits, I have noticed a fascination (in myself and in others) with those who embrace disorientation and spectacle as a part of their daily lives.

A quiet moment at Circus Warehouse.

The human body is not meant to do that!

That looks like magic!

I would break if I tried that!

An intensive student being stretched by a Circus Warehouse coach, Emily McFarlane.

I am curious as to whether/how these exclamations rely on the notion of the human body as a natural entity, and whether/how accomplishing these “unnatural” tasks alters our bodies. I wonder about the significance of repetition and how it shifts our ideas of what is and is not natural. When you normalize something, at what point does it become natural?

The same student being stretched by coach Emily McFarlane and other students.

This summer, I am immersing myself in the circus community at Circus Warehouse in Long Island City, Queens, by training in their Intensive Professional Program. Starting this week, I will be interviewing and observing various students and faculty at Circus Warehouse as they go about their day-to-day training while also completing my own training in contortion (extreme flexibility), handstands, and dance trapeze. I am hoping to explore how and why people have been drawn to circus, why they come to Circus Warhouse, and participating in circus alters their relationships and bodies.

It is early in the summer, so I have only taken photos in my stretch class thus far. There will be more to come as I begin my observations!

Me being stretched by coach Emily McFarlane and student.