First Day of School

*

A week ago, I started talking to him about his new routine. He didn’t know what it was about, but I was very happy and impatient to see this day arrive. The day before, I told him that tomorrow would be a great day, not only for him, but for us. He gave me a smile. The next day, I woke him up early, gave him his bath, dressed him, and made him sit on the bed so I could talk to him. I blessed him and told him how happy and proud I am of him. My joy was immense because, for me, it was the beginning of a beautiful story: Learn, make friends, and converse.

Yes, conversing is all that is important to me because, at almost four years old, my son does not yet speak. And for me, his going to school keeps me hoping to see and hear him speak and express his needs.

The long-awaited day is here. We all gather around him. We accompany him to his class, where his tears begin. Sadness and joy merge. But deep down, I know how important it is for us, but especially for him, that he starts school.

*
*

''Fatoumata Sore writes: “I was born and raised in Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast) and came to New York in April 2018. I am a contact tracer (case investigator) with United Health Group, a former community outreach specialist, and a student at the University Settlement Adult Literacy Program.” The director of the program is Lucian Leung.