Mirror

*

Some like it, because it owns beauty. Some avoid it, because it is straightforward. Some even want to break it. I look in the mirror thousands of times before I go out. I adjust my makeup on my face so many times. Why can’t I get the look I want? This could ruin my whole new day. What you see in the mirror is your shadow. When you smile, it will smile back. When you cry, it will cry back. When you frown, absolutely you will see an ugly face. A mirror is only one plane, it has no way to conceal any faults. But with it, you can discover your beauty, experience your beauty, and make beauty.

In our lives, we all like to clarify others’ shortcomings and hardly ever see the advantages. This makes our relationships far apart. When I stand at the crosswalk while the red light is still on, I observe people around me. Are they satisfied with the way they look? Those diverse sad and happy faces can barely conceal themselves. What have they been through? What makes them so disappointed or so grateful? Life contains sweet, sour, bitter, and spicy. The mirror reflects this as well.
*
*

Portrait of Lichan Chloe YuLichan (Chloe) Yu, born in Guangdong, China, joined the advanced writing class at University Settlement in fall 2020. She writes, “Thank you to my teacher, student teachers, and classmates for inspiring me. Sometimes speech cannot express my feelings, but writing does.” The director of University Settlement’s Adult Literacy Program is Lucian Leung.