The Golden Earrings

*

Twenty-five years ago, my husband gave me a pair of beautiful round golden earrings. It was a gift for Valentine’s Day. Since that day, I have always worn my earrings. My husband would see me with the earrings every day and would tell me, “You liked my gift a lot.” I would answer him, “Yes, I feel very comfortable with them.” I only took off my earrings when I had to go out very well dressed. On those occasions, I would wear different accessories, but immediately after I got home, I put my gold earrings back on. A few years ago, my husband told me: “My love, I am tired of always seeing the same earrings for so many years; you should mix it up.” With a smile, I said: “I’m sorry, honey, but I like them. They’re comfortable and make me feel special.” Five years ago, my husband died. I have never taken off my earrings again.

*
*

''Gladys Cruz, age 53, is a native of the Dominican Republic. She graduated from college with a nursing degree. She arrived in the U.S. in 2016. Used to speaking and writing in Spanish, she now enjoys writing in English. She attends English classes at the New York Public Library’s Washington Heights branch, with Lead Instructor Elke Stappert. Sisnur Araujo is the hub manager. Gladys Cruz wears her golden earrings in class every day.