The Bright Stars That I Love

I have liked stars since I was young. Maybe it’s because people said that the stars shine.

I moved to the United States last year. I came on an evening flight and New York’s big buildings looked like the night sky full of stars. My eyes sparkled and my heart fluttered as I looked at the buildings.

I went around New York, traveled to other cities, made friends, and learned English. Even now, I’m very happy with my new experiences and getting used to life in America. However, I miss my parents and friends in Korea.

Whenever I miss my parents, I look up at the stars in the night sky: the only thing my parents and I share. I tear up because the shining stars look sad, but I try to smile at them because my parents might see me through the stars. I hope that the stars will reach Korea to tell my parents that I am doing well in America. I will always love shining stars. 

Sohyun ParkSohyun Park is from South Korea and graduated from Sangmyung University with a nursing degree. She has lived in New York since 2021 and is “experiencing a wider world after coming to the U.S.” She writes, “I like to talk to people from many new countries and listen to their stories. I’m deeply grateful to the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Library and my ESOL teacher, Michele Persaud.” Sherin Hamad is the hub manager.