Advice to Immigrants

I immigrated to the United States in December 2000. Even today, I remember how homesick I felt when I left my family and close friends behind to start a new life. The United States is a land of opportunities, yes. I had always heard that. But there are many challenges, like learning a new language, adapting to a new climate, and starting a new job. As an immigrant, I learned to never take anything for granted, to see opportunities as blessings, and that perseverance can be hard. The immigrant’s journey is long, but if you’re smart and educate yourself, you never know how far it will take you in your life. And then, when you succeed, you will want to invite the entire world to your celebration.

Dear immigrants, if your children born in America become lawyers, doctors, nurses, or teachers, you are the one who has the honor of this title. You are the one who receives the doctorate or master’s. But do not limit yourself to the success of your children; their life is not your life, and you should pave the way for your own success. Become someone they can look up to and set an example for them.

Judith SouverainJudith Souverain was born in Léogâne, outside Port-au-Prince, Haiti. She has lived in Brooklyn with her family since 2000. Her language of origin is French Creole. Judith Souverain is an entrepreneur and independent contractor, and she studies at The Adult Learning Center of CUNY’s New York City College of Technology, where her teacher is Martie Flores, and the Director of Adult Education is Gilberto Gerena. Judith Souverain writes, “We can learn in many ways every minute and second in a day; we just need a little desire and willingness.”