Located in the heart of New York’s historic Greenwich Village, the Gallatin School of Individualized Study offers you an opportunity to design an interdisciplinary program, with courses available throughout NYU’s graduate and professional schools. You will work closely with a faculty adviser to bring together your academic interests, passions, and experiences to create an individualized program of study that culminates in a master’s thesis.
Given the diversity of the academic interests of Gallatin students, they go on to varied careers in the corporate and non-profit sectors, and work in publishing and writing, social entrepreneurship, theater and dance, film and media, higher education, curating and design, and more. Alumni have completed PhD programs and advanced degrees in top universities including Columbia University, UC Berkeley, Harvard Law School, Rutgers, NYU, Brandeis, Cornell, and other programs and have won national awards, including Fulbright fellowships.
Dean’s Graduate Scholarships are available for incoming students.
Sample MA Concentrations:
- Art, Politics, and Post-Colonial Theory
- Economics, Business, International Development
- Education Policy and Advocacy
- Epistemology, Art, and Cognitive Science
- Feminist Theory: Spoken Word and Social Change
- Film and Middle Eastern Studies
- Food Studies and Social Entrepreneurship
- Health Policy and Mass Communications
- History, Museum Studies, and Writing
- Human Rights and Child Advocacy
- Music, Culture, and Media
- Narrative Archetypes in Popular Culture
- Performance, Digital Technology, and Arts Activism
- Race and Ethnicity in Asian Literature
- Sexual and Gender Minority Rights
- Social Entrepreneurship in Africa
- The Arts and Social Change
- Urban Agriculture and Sustainable Community Development
- Visual Culture and Storytelling