My Ideal Home

The top part of the Chinese character 家 (home) looks just like the roof of a house, which shelters you from the wind and rain. In my view, a home does not need to be very luxurious or magnificent, but it must be a place where I feel warm, comfortable, and cozy. It must be inviting and not too dark. When I’m tired, it’s a place for me to relax, both physically and mentally. It should be like where a cell phone that’s out of power goes, so it can have a safe place to recharge until it reaches 100 percent. Or like a port where a ship on a long voyage can berth and enjoy a short rest before resuming its travels.

Home is a cup of fresh fragrant tea, or a cup of warm water when you are thirsty. Home is a bowl of delicious hot soup, which can instantly drive away your chills after you brave the cold wind and snowy outdoors to get home from work. There is clean and tidy clothing, and a comfortable bed, where you can sleep deeply.

In my ideal home, you don’t need to try hard to cater to others, nor pretend to be someone you are not. People in your family will be understanding and tolerant. They will share in your happiness, and comfort you when you are sad. They won’t tell you how high you must fly, but ask if flying has made you happy or tired. They are the best people in the world for you. They are good-tempered, warmhearted, and dependable.

I think that in order for a home to be truly happy, there must be someone there who can cook well, because eating and sharing delicious food makes everyone joyous and satisfied. The home must have fireworks and laughter.

>

>

Author portraitChunxiao Zhang was born in Zhijiang, in Hubei Province, China. Her first language is Mandarin. She came to the United States in 2018. She studies English at Columbia University’s Community Impact, where Kent Katner is the ESOL program manager. She writes, “‘My Ideal Home’ is about the ideal home in Chinese culture. A preschool teacher in China, I am also an environmentalist. I hope that in the future I can publish writing about the environment and have a career related to environmental protection.”