My Favorite Pet

My favorite pets are dogs. I remember when I was in Trinidad, my dad bought a pet dog by the name of Bobby. Bobby was of medium size, with long black curly hair, brown eyes, small ears that stood straight up, and a long tail that curled upward. I believe he was a mutt. His favorite food was kingfish with carrots and cauliflower.

This dog was the most amazing and intelligent dog I have ever known. Every morning at exactly four o’clock, Bobby would go to my dad’s bedroom door, which was kept closed. Bobby would scratch the door until my dad opened it. My dad would pick him up, kiss him, and tell him, “Thank you for waking me up for work.”

At 6:00 p.m., Bobby sat in front of the gate and waited for my dad to come home. Amazingly, Bobby knew the sound of my dad’s car, which he could hear half a block away. When he heard my dad’s car approaching, he began to howl and dance around the yard. As Dad drove into the garage, Bobby would follow his car. The very minute Dad stepped out of his car, Bobby would jump into his arms.

Bobby was allowed to roam wherever he wanted to go. Every evening, between six and seven o’clock, Bobby would go for walks through the neighborhood—everyone loved him.

On Friday and Saturday evenings, my dad would go one building over from our house to visit his two friends who owned Yooklin’s Grocery Store. Dad took Bobby with him. A few neighbors would meet and greet each other, and hang out in front of the grocery, which had a large table and benches. The guys would play with Bobby and ask him, “Bobby, what’s up?” and extend their hand to him. He would put out his paw, and they would shake it. Bobby would grin, showing his lily white teeth and pink gums.

Sometimes when my dad sat with the guys in front of the grocery store late into the evening, it would get chilly. Dad would tell Bobby to get his hat, which he sometimes left on his rocking chair on the front porch. Bobby would go directly to the porch, retrieve Dad’s hat off the chair, and take it to him. The neighbors would clap and cheer Bobby on. He loved the attention.

Sadly, at age 15, Bobby passed away. We held a funeral for him that all the neighbors attended. He was well-loved and gravely missed.

>

>

Jane Utendahl, age 59, studies at the Central Library Adult Learning Center of the Brooklyn Public Library. Winsome Pryce-Cortes is the site manager, and Christina Best is the literacy adviser. Born in Arima, Trinidad and Tobago, she arrived in the United States in 1999. She writes, “I am very caring, loving, and humble.”