Meet the LR20 Student Team

Yagmur Akyurek, Editor in Chief

''

I am a senior at Gallatin from Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. I study literature and visual culture, and my concentration focuses specifically on how literary and visual narratives can inform a sense of place. This past summer, I researched the symbolism of olives in Palestinian poetry. Apart from being editor in chief of The Literacy Review, I have been a student editor for Confluence, a student teacher in the advanced writing class of University Settlement Society’s Adult Literacy Program, and a poetry editor for West 10th. In my free time, I love to go on walks by the river, french braid my friends’ hair, and watch slow movies. Next year, I will be completing a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship in Turkey.

*
Sabrina Choudhary, Editor

''I’m a senior at Gallatin from Burlington, Vermont. My concentration is called National Mythology and focuses on the relationship between narratives and power through the lens of nationalism. I’m most interested in how this works in media and history education. At Gallatin, I participated in the Great World Texts program and did a senior project analyzing the mascot controversy at my high school. Outside of Gallatin, I’m a deputy managing editor for Washington Square News and work as an NYU Admissions Ambassador. This summer, I’ll be teaching a cinema studies class at a program for grades 8-10 at Sarah Lawrence College. After that, I’ll be looking for a writing job in New York—if you know of any, let me know!

*
Samantha Santana, Editor

''

A California native, I have spent the last four-ish years at NYU. Originally in Liberal Studies, I transitioned into Gallatin to study visual culture and the archaeology of cities. At NYU, I have been involved in the Inter-Residence Hall Council, Student Government Assembly, and Panhellenic life. Creating community has been a major part of my time as a student, and I’m grateful for the opportunities I’ve had to do so. In the city, you can find me reading, rat watching, or kayaking! Following graduation, I plan on continuing my studies in visual culture and aesthetics at the Bard Graduate Center. 

*https://doodle.com/meeting/organize/id/e5y05J8e
Jared Skoro, Editor

''

I am a junior at Gallatin born and raised in Dallas, Texas. My concentration is a mix of English, political science, and psychology—focusing on how we create, develop, and use narratives. As a writer, my work has been published in The Gallatin Review, Intersections, and Confluence. Besides my work with The Literacy Review, I am an editor for The Gallatin Review’s Prison Education Program section and studied deindustrialization and economic transitions in Nova Scotia as an Americas Scholar.

*
Katherine Sun, Editor

''Born and raised in the Bay Area, California, I am a sophomore studying: something. My mind may never be made up, but if anything is certain, it is that I give any endeavor my 100%. Creative by spontaneity and STEM enthusiast in secret, when I’m not working on LR20, I’m researching biomaterials at the Tandon School of Engineering, studying criminality, ethics and aesthetics, and “good” design. When I have some free time, you can find me sketching, cooking with my friends, or jabbering on about sampled music.

*
Xiaoshuang Wu, Editor

''I am a senior at Gallatin concentrating in Language in Cross-cultural Contact. Born and raised in Nanjing, China, I am interested in how the impacts of creative works differ throughout different historical periods. With my studying abroad experience in Europe and Shanghai, I frequently raise questions about translation and cultural authenticity. I was an editorial board member for LR19. I also work as a peer writing assistant in the Gallatin Writing Center. In my free time, I love people-watching in the parks and film-watching in the theaters. After graduation this summer, I plan to pursue a master’s degree in East Asian Languages and Civilizations at the University of Pennsylvania.

*
Jules Talbot, Designer

Portrait of Jules TalbotI’m a senior at Gallatin and the book designer of LR18-20, among several other Writing Program publications. I worked for three years at NYU’s Expository Writing Program as a peer tutor, and twice served as a junior editor of the Expository Writing Program journal Mercer Street. In 2020, I was the recipient of the Dean’s Award for Summer Research, presenting as a keynote panelist at the annual Student Research Conference. Outside of school, I’m the staff graphic designer of the Actors’ Shakespeare Project, a professional classical theater company. I’m also a writer, illustrator, and comic book artist currently working on a graphic novel adaptation of Hamlet.