Interview: Tatiana Bleyman

This interview was conducted via email between Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben, an editor for the Literacy Review, Volume 19, and Tatiana Bleyman, author of “Train,” which appears in the Childhood Section of LR19.  

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben: Where are you from?

Tatiana Bleyman: I am from Russia. I was born in Tolyatti but grew up in Omsk.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben:  How long have you been in the U.S.? Why did you come here?

Tatiana Bleyman: I came to the U.S. in June 2018 because most of my family lives here. Also, we have freedom of religion and there is more opportunity here. I grew up in a criminal city in Tolyatti, where you can see or hear shoot-outs, so I also feel safer here.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben: Where do you study? Who is your teacher?

Tatiana Bleyman: Now I study in the CLIP program in the College of Staten Island. My teacher is Dorian who teaches level C.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben: What do you like about the class your writing came from?

Tatiana Bleyman: I like my teacher, Polina. I like the methods that she used to teach us. She was very organized and demanding, which helped me a lot. She approached everybody individually and she didn’t waste any time. She was very artistic and educated.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben: Do you remember a special moment in your class?

Tatiana Bleyman: In my class now, we had a big event, where a student gave birth after finishing class.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben:Even before you took classes, did you always like to write?

Tatiana Bleyman: I don’t like writing. Every essay that is given to me is like torture to me. I always try to write less to avoid more mistakes.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben: How has your teacher helped you?

Tatiana Bleyman: Polina helped me by always supporting and giving good advice.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben: Why are you going back to school?

Tatiana Bleyman: I am going back to school because I didn’t finish my education in Russia. I want to get a profession in America and see how it feels to be an American student.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben: How is online learning going for you?

Tatiana Bleyman: I like waking up late and not spending time driving to college. But what I don’t like is it’s not enough time, and it is not enough live conversation.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben: What inspired you to write “The Train?”

Tatiana Bleyman: I like to travel, and I wanted to tell a small portion of my life traveling in the past.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben: What advice would you give to another writer?

Tatiana Bleyman: Don’t be afraid to express your thoughts and feelings on paper. Even if you think it’s dull or boring, somebody may find it interesting and important for themselves.

Emmanuel Hidalgo-Wohlleben: Thank you, once again, to Tatiana Bleyman for taking the time to interview with us. If you are interested, please check out our other author-spotlight interviews.