Interview: Hippolyte John Jacob

Yejin Chang: My name is Yejin Chang, and I am the editor in chief of The Literacy Review, Volume 19. Today, I’m joined by Hippolyte John Jacob, author of “Beautiful Night,” which appears in the Transformations section of LR19.

To begin, John, why don’t you introduce yourself? Where are you from, and how long have you been in the U.S.?

Hippolyte John Jacob: I’m from the island of St. Lucia, in the town Castries. I have been in the U.S. for around 25 years now. I came to America in search of better opportunities. I enjoy watching karate films and playing soccer.

Yejin Chang: That’s great to hear! We’re also interested in hearing about your class experiences. Where do you study, and who is your teacher?

Hippolyte John Jacob: I study at Brooklyn Public Library Central. My teacher is Mr. Allen. The site manager is Winsome Pryce-Cortes.

Yejin Chang: Would you like to share a special moment from your class?

Hippolyte John Jacob: My favorite moment had to be when my piece was chosen to be presented. I never used to write before I came to class with Mr. Allen. He was always very clear with the way that he would help me to learn to read.

Yejin Chang: Why are you going back to school? And how has the shift from in-person to online school been for you?

Hippolyte John Jacob: I went back to school so that I could expand my knowledge and acquire more education. I would rather be in a classroom, but online learning isn’t too bad for me.

Yejin Chang: Shifting to online learning has been quite a big change, and I’m glad to see that you’re adjusting to it well, even if you’d rather be in a classroom. Something else we’re interested in is what it was like to write “A Beautiful Night,” which is such a wonderful piece of writing.

Hippolyte John Jacob: I was inspired one night when I was watching the stars on a beautiful night. The night was so special and beautiful that I had to express how I felt about it.

Yejin Chang: Beautifully put. Now, to wrap up the interview, is there any advice you’d like to give to another writer?

Hippolyte John Jacob: If I were to give someone advice, it would be to keep on writing. You will see progress sooner than you think.

Yejin Chang: That’s great advice; never give up on writing. Thank you so much for joining me for this Author Spotlight, and congratulations on your success and being chosen for The Literacy Review, Volume 19.