Face the Past

While walking through Washington Square Park, I ran into Bill today. My heart jumped, for it was quite a surprise to see him again after all those years. It was amazing to see how good he looked. We stood looking at each other, and my heart began to beat so fast, while all the memories came rushing back to me, about our past and the love we had for each other.

Then I remembered how I ended our relationship in a very impulsive way, for something not very important, and went on with my life and married a man I thought I loved, while Bill went away bitter about women.

As we both spoke today, I was glad to hear he is married and has two children because I always wondered how he was doing. As he walked away, I hoped we would meet again. It is amazing how we both ended up living in New York. I wish I’d had some time to sit and talk things over with him. I would like to let him know my last son is named Bill. I love my family with all my heart, but sometimes I wonder what life would have been like if Bill and I had stayed together.

As I faced my past, I knew life is about choices we make.

Author portraitJudith Johnson writes, “I am from Trinidad and Tobago. I enjoy dancing and going on long trips to different countries. My goal is to write a great business plan, so I can get a loan to start a business. My business will help young women grow up with respect for themselves and learn things we used to know as young ladies in my generation.” Judith Johnson studies at the Brooklyn Public Library’s Eastern Parkway Adult Learning Center, where Donna Alleyne is the site manager.