Kahini Patel: Future Plans

As my collaboration is still in the works I had to shift my focus for my research in the summer. In a way, waiting to start my fieldwork gave me time and the opportunity to sit with and reflect on my research question and what I aim to do with this project. I was also able to fully study the background of the population I will be doing fieldwork with, which are Indian immigrant taxi drivers in NYC. Through existing literature, conversations, and preliminary interviews I was able to thoroughly understand what I am calling the ‘mediating variables’. I am looking to investigate how drivers perceive and understand diet as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. With this work, I wanted to and will continue to explore the linkages between diet and cardiovascular health and disease. I classified these linkages into four broad categories: social networks, schedule, food insecurity, and acculturation. I created these categories as these were the most common ‘mediating’ factors that were unique to drivers that I came across in my research. 

The ‘Mediating’ Variables

I also found that during this time I was able to delve more deeply into understanding the medical anthropology theories and frameworks I’d potentially want to use in the write-up of my results. I came across Hughes’ and Lock’s three-body framework and was specifically drawn to the idea of the body politic. From the start, I knew Harris Solomon’s framework of absorption and metabolic living could be beneficial and inspire my work. I also explore Elizabeth Wheatley’s concept of reskilling and how it relates to perceptions of being “at-risk.” Additionally, I looked into an idea I had on using temporality as framing as it can allow me to expand on the pre and post-immigration contexts in addition to the key concept of time as it relates to being “at-risk.” 

I was also able to get a glimpse into what my fieldwork over the next months will look like when I visited Punjab Grocery and Deli. I spoke with the founder and owner, Kulwinder Singh. This space is what I would call an ‘ethnic enclave.’ It’s a gathering site and communal space for drivers to come to. Mr. Singh himself was a driver who immigrated here in the 70s. We talked about his shop, the food he makes, and the current situation with taxi drivers in NYC. I could see how strong the connections are between the ‘mediating variables’, diet, and heart health through this conversation. 

Punjabi Grocery and Deli

Overall, I’m looking forward to continuing with this work into the Fall semester and being able to use the work I did this summer as a foundation for both the data collection and ethnographic writing phase.