Amelie Srinivas: Nature’s Keepers; Indigenous Environmentalism

Left with a lot to consider after my trip to Montreal, I focused my efforts to some more preliminary primary sources to prepare for the next stop on my museum tour.

I have been spending quite a bit of time listening to my favorite podcast, “Ologies” by Alie Ward, and elected to have these episodes serve as contemporary voices in my research of Indigenous practicing environmentalists and environmental scientists. I’ve always listened to this podcast, but I realized more and more how common Ward offers a perspective from an Indigenous scientist on a variety of subjects–from pedology (soil science) to ethnobotany (native plants) and Indigenous fire ecology.

The Indigenous Pedology episode with Dr. Lydia Jennings episode particularly resonated with me, because of the discussion surrounding artistic endeavors as an additional avenue to explore human-environment interactions. In this case, a moving documentary titled Run to Be Visible.

Run to be Visible, a movie about two Indigenous soil scientists embarking on a 50-mile run to explore soil around the Arizona Trail and its contributions to her doctoral dissertation.

The next museum I visited was the American Museum of Natural History to continue my research into museological representations of Indigenous environmentalism. I was particularly drawn to the Northwest Coast Hall: Pacific Northwest Nations–a newly remodeled exhibit. The detailed descriptions and multimedia displays highlighted traditional ecological knowledge and sustainable practices, emphasizing the deep connection these communities have with the land and sea.

The exhibit is full of items such as pottery, wooden carved masks and other art pieces, and tools used by these peoples. Yet even with the consultation of Indigenous peoples in these cultures, none of the exhibits are accompanied by education on important leaders and figures, nor were there any time frames provided. This may have been a unique way to portray the timelessness of these artifacts, but it left me yearning for more context.

Reflecting on these exhibits, a larger pattern began to emerge. While the artifacts and practices are presented with care and respect, there is often a lack of deeper context that connects these items to the broader historical and cultural narratives. This gap in representation can lead to a fragmented understanding of Indigenous environmentalism, missing the opportunity to fully appreciate the continuity and evolution of these practices.

Fragmented (cut) pieces from totem poles with great cultural significance presented with no timeline and little additional context.

My next stop is Mexico City, where I will be visiting the National Museum of Anthropology in late August. I am excited to keep exploring!