Kaelyn Edwards: Do you have a plan?

“Do you have a plan?” My mom asks me this before every new venture, chapter, what ever, even on a regular day. A likkle anxiety dat but, it is okay, it keeps me on my toes and strengthens my faith in God. I need faith because I indeed do not plan much when it comes to next steps and chapters. My end goals are my focus and I tend to fill the in between time with prayers, self-development, and gained opportunities. This time, my mother asked me regarding how I’d spend my time in Ghana. I have a “plan” (a general calendar of what I’d like to do and focus on, and planned meetings with individuals). However, my plan won’t really develop until I touch base in Ghana and scope the scenery out. Initially, her inquiry made me a little nervous because I don’t know what suffices as a plan, yet I replied confidently because I’m used to her checking in and know I’ll be fine. More than anything, I’m excited by the unexpected and can’t wait to land in Ghana very soon. 

Planning my project has been difficult without organization. When I began researching, about a month in, I felt lost and didn’t know which direction to take. With every article, book, video, I was left with too many questions to answer at one time, those questions then leading to others. The method and design template helped me to understand exactly which disciplines (ethnomusicology, political science, and anthropology/comparative study) I would focus on, aiding in the specification of the questions I would answer. Additionally, Dr. Morrison-Moncure’s reassurance that research is ongoing and that it’s normal to be a bit disheveled helped me progress confidently. 

Now that I have a plan for a beautiful opportunity I didn’t plan on, I feel like the real deal. I’m feeling blessed and courageous. During this process, I realized that most established people primarily speak closely with those who have leverage. There were a couple of emails that went unanswered by artists and scholars with social media presence and established careers. I expected this but closed mouths don’t get fed so I’m always proud of myself for taking leaps of faith. I arrive in Ghana soon and I am excited to study, establish new connections, honor old ones, explore, and build.

The Autobiography of Kwame Nkrumah – This is one of the books I have focused on, detailing Dr. Kwame Nkrumah’s leadership to Ghanaian independence.
This is a blank calendar to represent having to plan.